Repairs and maintenance
Updated: 28 January 2022
We work with a number of contractors to deliver works to your home. Our main contractor is Mears Limited, which is responsible for our repairs contract.
Mears also delivers heating repairs and servicing as well as new heating installations and electrical testing. The Mears' Customer Charter covers the service standards you can expect as a customer in heating repairs and servicing work you may receive from Mears.
We’ll maintain your home to a good standard and aim to provide a quality repair service. Our partner contractors have agreed to these promises and will carry these out on our behalf.
As part of our continued efforts to improve the service we provide and address the challenges we’re facing with a backlog of repairs, we’ve also appointed five additional interim contractors from 1 February 2022.
Their appointment will help tackle the outstanding work and ensure our repairs are delivered to the standards that we’d expect.
The new contractors are:
- Novus Property Solutions LTD
- T. M. Browne LTD
- Morgan Sindall Property Services LTD
- Foster Property Maintenance LTD
- Matt Fearn Property.
These new contractors have been appointed to help improve our performance in preparation for the handover to our new, permanent contractors on 1 July 2022.
They’ll focus predominately on our void properties and communal repairs, but this may change.
Any of these companies could work anywhere across our geographical area. All operatives will carry a letter of authorisation from Longhurst Group, their own company ID and will always adhere to all current Coronavirus guidance.
If you’re ever unsure about an operative’s authenticity or have any concerns, please call us on 0300 123 1745.
As we continue to tackle the outstanding repairs that have been reported to us, we’ll continue to prioritise jobs based on the immediate health and safety risk they pose and the vulnerability of the customers affected.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we strive to improve the service we deliver to you.
Did you know?
It is your responsibility to carry out some of the repairs that may be needed in your home, and not all repairs are our responsibility. Below, you will find all the information you need to know before you report a repair.
For more information, please get in touch
To report an essential, non-essential repair or an emergency repair, please call 0300 123 1745 and press 1.
We class an emergency as an immediate risk to your safety, security or health.
To help you to get through as quickly as possible, we’d recommend calling outside of the busiest times, which are 8.30am to 5pm on Monday, and 8.30am to 11am and during lunchtime (12pm to 1pm) on weekdays.
Please note, if you are reporting a repair outside of our office hours (9am–5pm), the option sequence will be different. Please listen to the full message before selecting the appropriate option.
If you have an existing appointment and the issue is resolved before we attend or the agreed date is no longer convenient, please contact us as soon as possible so we can reschedule our contractors to help other customers.
Each year, we invest millions of pounds in our major improvement programmes to ensure we provide safe, comfortable homes with modern facilities.
Internally, this includes heating systems, kitchens, bathrooms, fire doors and communal decoration. External work includes doors, windows and replacement roof coverings.
We aim to carry out a stock condition survey at each of our properties every five years, to help us decide which major improvement works are a priority. This ensures that homes in greatest need of improvement are addressed first.
When your home is due for any improvement works, we will let you know what work we are planning and when this will happen.
During the Coronavirus pandemic, to help keep you safe and following guidance from the Social Housing Regulator, we will continue to carry out gas safety checks.
If you suspect a gas leak please contact the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.
- Complete an annual service and safety check to all gas, solid fuel and renewable energy appliances.
- Provide you with a copy of the annual heating service record for your property, within 28 days.
- Check communal smoke alarms regularly.
- Carry out an inspection of electrical installations every five years.
- Check and maintain all lifts owned by us.
- Service and check all communal fire alarm equipment, emergency lighting and door entry systems every year.
- Carry out water hygiene testing, where required.
- Carry out any other safety checks as required.
Please click here to read our Customer Charter - the charter covers the service standards you can expect as a Longhurst Group customer in all heating repairs and servicing work you may receive from Mears.
If you or a family member are experiencing difficulties in maintaining your independence, we may be able to help by adapting your home.
We can help you live more comfortably and safely with minor adaptations such as the installation of grab rails and handrails or lever taps on sinks.
Typically, we are not able to fund major adaptations such as stair lifts, over bath showers, level access showers or structural alterations such as the widening of doors or installation of ramps.
You should be able to apply for a Disability Facility Grant (DFG) from your local council. How much you can receive depends on your income and savings, so you may have to pay towards the cost.
Although we cannot make a grant application for you, we may be able to help you with advice on aspects such as agreeing the plans and specifications.
If your home is unsuitable for adaptations, we may still be able to assist by helping you move to a more suitable property.
Find out more
Our grounds maintenance contractors maintain the communal grounds of our estates. The number of visits each month depends on the time of year. For example, grass cutting will take place more regularly during the growing season.
If your home comes with a grounds maintenance service, you can expect the following.
What is included?
- Grass cutting – Grass cutting is weather dependent but we endeavour to cut grass every two weeks between March and October.
- Hedge cutting -. This will usually consist of one cut per year, and will take place outside of the bird nesting season which is between February and July.
- Shrub pruning - Cut all shrubs in communal areas. All shrubs should be kept at a height of no more than 160 centimetres. Some shrubs will require hard pruning at times, which may lead to the shrubs looking unsightly for a short time before they regrow. Yearly prune unless overgrowing paths or creating a Health & Safety hazard
- Shrub beds - Will be kept weed free through a combination of treatment and hand weeding.
- Weed control – Hard standing areas will normally receive four sprays during the growing season between March and October.
- Leaf collection - Will take place monthly on each site visit between October and January.
- Hard areas - All hard areas will be swept monthly, with all litter removed and any build-up of debris removed.
- Trees – An annual tree survey will take place, which will inform us of any work required for Health & Safety purposes. We will not normally prune trees to improve TV/Satellite reception, if they block light or drop leaves or fruits.
What is NOT included?
- Removal of green rubbish generated by customers.
- Maintenance of any plants or shrubs planted by customers.
- Removal of any garden furniture or any other items that could impede grounds maintenance duties such as grass cutting. It is up to residents to ensure areas of grass are free of all obstacles.
During the Coronavirus pandemic, cleaning is still being carried out in key communal areas at our properties. Cleaners are using stronger products as part of an upgraded cleaning service in these areas.
Please note that due to the number of sites we maintain, the frequency of visits on each site will vary from weekly, to four times per year.
Included on each visit
- Vacuum all carpets where fitted
- Sweep hard flooring and damp mop with sanitiser
- Clean stairs including risers
- Wipe passenger lifts
- Handrails and banisters will be dusted
- Light switches will be cleaned
- All door frames, internal door glazing, doors, ledges and skirting boards will be wiped down
- All cobwebs will be removed
- Where loose fitting entrance mats are fitted, they will be removed and the mat wells cleaned
- Ashtrays will be emptied (where provided).
Wipe down all outside window frames and sills. (Usually four times per year)
Communal bin stores will be cleaned and all bin rooms will be pressure washed and sanitised every six months.
Please note – During spells of cold weather and when no heating is available in communal areas, no wet mopping will take place due to the risk of water not drying and creating a slip hazard.
What is NOT included?
- Internal window cleaning in communal areas
- Removal of hazardous bodily fluids, including blood will not be cleared as part of normal cleaning. When this is required, a specialist team will be used.
You may want to make improvements to your home yourself, however it is likely that you will need our permission to do this.
Major alterations to your home will not be accepted.
Please do not start any work on your home until you have our written approval.
By following our guidance you can limit the amount of condensation – and reduce the effects of mould in your home, all year round.
Mears, our repairs, heating and servicing contractor, has produced a series of helpful videos and factsheets to help you perform basic repairs in your home.
While these videos will help you to carry out basic DIY repairs, if you need to report a repair or you don't feel comfortable completing any of the repairs highlighted within the videos, please call 0300 123 1745 and press option 1, followed by option 2.
We let all of our homes to our lettable standard and will expect your home to be in the same standard when you leave it.
We will recharge you for any repairs needed as a result of damage, alterations or neglect which are required to bring the property back up to the lettable standard.
For more information, please contact us.
When appropriate, we will replace your existing central heating system with a new Air Source Heat Pump system which‘ll provide both heating and hot water for your home.