Change accessibility  Google translate  Change contrast   Font size 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size

Welfare benefits

Keep up-to-date with information about benefit changes online so you understand whether you can apply to receive financial support.

Welfare benefits

If you need the latest information about welfare benefits to help you to pay your rent, you can start by checking the Department for Work and Pensions website to browse benefits or read more from Turn2us

For further reading online, you can use our handy links below or keep reading for more information:

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment that replaces the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA).
  • Housing Benefit.
  • Working Tax Credit.
  • Child Tax Credit.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
  • Income Support.

You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or out of work. How much you’ll get depends on your circumstances, including your income and how many children you have.

It’ll be paid once a month, usually into your bank, building society or credit union account. If you live with your partner and you both claim Universal Credit, you’ll receive a single payment that covers you both.

Full information on Universal Credit can be found on the Direct Gov website for Universal Credit.

Benefit Cap

There's a limit on the total amount of benefits you can claim if you're aged between 16 and 64.

Further details on how this overall benefit cap works can be found here: Benefit Cap.

Housing Benefit to help you with your rent

If you're not claiming Universal Credit then you may be eligible for Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent.  Advice on Housing Benefit can be found at your local council's Housing Benefit Department, or you can find more information here: Housing Benefit.

A couple of things to note when considering Housing Benefit:


If you have one or more ‘extra’ bedrooms in your home, your Housing Benefit could be reduced.

If you have one ‘extra’ bedroom, your housing benefit will be reduced by 14 percent of your total rent. If you have two, your housing benefit will be reduced by 25 percent of your total rent. Please click here for more information.


Sharing bedrooms

You're expected to share a bedroom, if you're:

  • An adult couple.
  • Two children of the same sex under the age of 16.
  • Two children under the age of 10 (regardless of sex).

You can have your own bedroom, if you're:

  • A single adult (16 or over).
  • A child that would normally share, but shared bedrooms are already taken. For example, you have three children and two already share.
  • Children who can’t share because of a disability or medical condition.
  • A non-resident overnight carer for you or your partner (but only if they must stay overnight).

Rooms used by students and members of the armed or reserve forces will not be counted as ‘spare’ if they’re away and intend to return home.

If you're worried that you may struggle to pay your rent, or you have benefit or debt problems, we may be able to help through our Money Advice service. Please visit our money advice page for more information.

Menu Clock House Get involved Headset Magnifying Lock Burger menu Close Wrench Wallet Heart Life ring Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube TikTok Lightbulb People Map pin Blocks List GBP Arrow right Search care Longhurst Group Longhurst Group L & H Homes L & H Homes Friendship Care and Housing Friendship Care and Housing Libra Treasury Libra Treasury Spire Homes Spire Homes Keystone Keystone Axiom Axiom