Alter your home
If you want to make any internal or external physical alterations to your home, you may need our written permission.
In many cases, we'll be able to grant permission in writing without asking you for more information, but in some instances we may need to visit your property to assess your proposals in more detail.
You can use the below forms to apply for the permission to make these changes. Please note, you need to complete the correct form that's relevant to your request. Ensure that you've read the declaration below before submitting either of the forms.
- All work must be completed by competent tradespeople and contractors. Contractors must work in accordance with the Construction, Design and Management (CDM) Regulations.
- Gas work must be completed by a Gas Safe registered engineer and a satisfactory safety certificate provided to us on completion of the work.
- All electrical work must be completed by a NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT certified contractor and we must be provided with a satisfactory completion certificate following the works.
- All plumbing works shall be carried out in accordance with the Water Supply Regulations 1999.
- Where we provide an asbestos survey, you must ensure this is provided to the contractor completing the works. They must check that the survey is relevant and sufficient before works are started.
- All work on asbestos containing materials (notifiable and non-notifiable) must be completed by a contractor licenced by the Health and Safety Executive. Information such as waste consignment notes must be provided to us on completion of the works.
- If the proposed works are subject to Planning or Building Regulations Approval Notices under the Party Wall Act 1996 or any other statutory approvals, these must be obtained and forwarded to us before to starting the works.
- Neighbours must agree to any works that may affect them (e.g. fencing, fence painting, parking large vehicles on driveways). We may contact them for confirmation. Under no circumstances should your neighbours' access or egress be affected.
- The entire cost of the works and associated costs are to be at no expense to us, including all future maintenance. If work isn't completed to a satisfactory standard, we're empowered to complete works and charge the cost to you.
- Any damage caused to the property as a result of the works is to be made good to our satisfaction at your expense.
- We reserve the right to require you to remove the works and reinstate the property to its former state entirely at your expense should either party terminate your lease or tenancy.
- All waste materials must be completely removed from the property and any communal areas.
- You must inform us when the work is completed and provide any necessary certification.
- The work may be inspected by our Property Services Team on completion and any defects must be rectified entirely at your own expense.
- Any permission request is valid for 12 months from when the resident is notified in writing of the permission request being granted. If the work isn't completed within this timeframe then the request must be re-submitted.
- By starting work, you're agreeing to these conditions.
- Ceiling fans to be installed in rooms which contain an open fire, gas fire, gas appliance or central heating boiler
- Gas fires or solid fuel appliances (including log burners) where there's another source of heating in the property due to the risk of carbon monoxide release and the Government’s commitment to reduce carbon emissions. This also includes removal of any existing appliances once they come to the end of their operational life
- The construction of an extension (other than works authorised and overseen by any Local Authority Adaptations Agency)
- The erection of permanent base conservatories/garage structures. Any other external items and additions would need to be applied for using the form below
- Loft conversions/roof lights/dorma windows or the boarding out of roof space (other than works authorised and overseen by any Local Authority Adaptations Agency)
- Alterations to any structural elements of the building including the removal of, or alteration to, load bearing walls, roof structures, staircases etc (other than works authorised and overseen by any Local Authority Adaptations Agency)
- Change to the original building footprint/room plan layout (other than works authorised and overseen by any Local Authority Adaptations Agency)
- Change to the original use of a room to that of a different use. For example, converting a bedroom into a bathroom, subdividing rooms etc. (other than works authorised and overseen by any Local Authority Adaptations Agency)
- The replacement of kitchens where the design incorporates integrated appliances. For example, built-in cookers, built-in washing machines, dishwashers and fridge freezers
- The replacement or alteration of fire doors and replacing them with standard doors that aren't fireproof or in accordance with current fire regulations
- The erection of fencing in communal gardens or open plan areas where no fencing currently exists
- The installation of any radio mast or secondary satellite dishes or TV aerials
- The installation of polystyrene coving and/or ceiling tiles or timber wall/ceiling cladding
- The installation of recessed ceiling lights/spotlights
- The installation of ceramic/porcelain floor tiles to any properties, or laminate floor/floor tiling or any other hard surface flooring to flats above ground floor
- The installation of animal flaps, for example dog and cat flaps, into external doors as this affects the integrity of the door
- The installation of permanent structure animal lodgings/ponds
- The installation of any artificial grass that isn't fire retardant
- Any alteration that is deemed to have health & safety implications
- The installation of any solar voltaic panels or any “rent a roof” agreements
- We don't provide retrospective permission for alterations that have already been completed
- We don't give permission for alterations within the 12 months defect period of a new build property (with the exception of sheds and electrical charging points – please apply using the form below). Please resubmit your request once the 12 months has passed.
- We don't give permission for any alteration during the starter tenancy period (with the exception of sheds and electrical charging points – please apply using the form below). Please resubmit your request once this period of time has passed.
We don't require a permission request form to be completed for the following items:
- Internal decoration
- Installation of laminate flooring in a house
- Installation of carpet/vinyl floor coverings
- Fitting of a water meter by the local water authority
- Change of gas/electric meter by your energy supplier.
If you're unsure if permission is required then please contact us for more information.