Leasehold and Shared Owner Customer Charter
Our Customer Charter outlines the service you can expect to receive as one of our Leasehold and Shared Ownership customers.
This page features a summary of the charter. Click here to download a copy of the charter in full or call 0345 60 88 006 (Retirement Leasehold) or 0300 123 1745 (Shared Ownership) to request a copy.
1. Getting in touch with us
Providing excellent customer care is really important to us and is seen as everyone’s job at Longhurst Group. Whether you contact us by phone, through our website or social media, in writing or by visiting us in person, we’re always here to help.
- We’ll make it easier for you to get in touch and find the information you need
- We’ll answer your call promptly and in a polite and courteous way
- If possible, we’ll aim to resolve your query on the same day
- If we need more time, we’ll let you know and reply to your enquiry within two working days. If it’s going to take a little longer, we’ll let you know and keep you informed of progress
- We’ll keep the promises we make and keep you up-to-date
- We’ll always be fair and respectful
- We’ll let you know if there’s a problem or any change to what we said we’d do
- We’ll protect your personal data and let you know how we use it.
2. Your voice
It’s really important to us that we engage with you and act on your feedback to help us further improve the services we deliver to you.
- We’ll take time to understand your needs and match services to your requirements
- We’ll actively request your views and act on your feedback
- We’ll offer lots of different ways to get involved and will provide support if needed
- We’ll use a range of communication methods to suit your needs.
3. Consulting with you (under the terms of your lease)
We know how important good communication is with our leaseholders, so we promise to consult with you on certain matters.
- We’ll consult you on a variety of matters including service charges, annual accounts, estate service, scheme manager services
- Obligations under Section 20.
4. Dealing with anti-social behaviour (ASB)
We do everything we can to prevent and tackle anti-social behaviour and we’ll always deal with these issues in a prompt and sensitive way.
- We’ll investigate all ASB reports and keep you fully informed of what’s happening
- We’ll investigate your case within five working days, or within one working day for particularly serious cases
- We’ll regularly review timescales with you and keep you up-to-date as agreed
- We’ll work in partnership with the police, local authorities and other partner agencies, as well as use a range of remedies to resolve your case.
5. Repairs to communal areas
We’ll maintain communal areas to a good standard and aim to provide a quality repair service. Our partner contractors have agreed to these promises and will carry these out on our behalf.
- We’ll make it easy for you to report communal repairs
- We’ll provide an emergency repairs service (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)
- We’ll carry out routine repairs within 21 days
- We’ll aim to complete the repair on the first visit.
6. Repairing your home (under the terms of your lease)
We’ll maintain your home to a good standard and aim to provide a quality repair service. Our partner contractors have agreed to these promises and will carry these out on our behalf.
- We’ll give you a choice of appointments and send you a text to confirm
- We’ll carry out routine repairs within 21 days and heating repairs within 10 days
- We’ll provide an emergency repairs service (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)
- We’ll carry out your gas safety checks every year (we must do this by law)
- We’ll keep you up-to-date with any changes to your repair request
- We’ll aim to complete the repair on the first visit to your home
- We’ll be respectful in your home and leave the area clean and tidy after a repair.
7. Planned and cyclical works (under the terms of your lease)
We’ll always consult you about any planned works if the cost is more than £250 per property.
- We’ll always consult you about any works that we’re planning to carry out that fall within our obligations under Section 20
- Before any work starts, we’ll contact you to let you know who’ll be carrying out the work and when
- We’ll serve you with the appropriate Section 20 Notice where required
- We’ll always ask you if there are special requirements that we need to consider as part of the works
- You’ll be contacted before the work is due to start to arrange a convenient time.
8. Payments to us
If you’re having problems paying your rent, service charges or any other payments, then you should tell us straight away so we can work with you to resolve any difficulties.
- We’ll make paying easy
- We’ll clearly explain your rent and service charge
- We’ll work with you if you’re facing financial difficulties
- We’ll send your end of year accounts to you and ground rent notice (where applicable)
- On request, we’ll provide you with access to up-to-date rent and service charge statements
- We’ll provide advice on the benefits available to you, or refer you to our specialist team.
9. If things go wrong
If there’s something you’re not happy with, please get in touch straight away. Letting us know helps us to put things right and improve our service in the future.
- When we’ve done something wrong, we’ll apologise and sort it as soon as we can
- We’ll contact you within two working days to tell you who’ll be handling your complaint and we’ll keep you fully informed of the progress
- We’ll give you a full response within 10 working days and check you’re happy with the outcome
- We’ll tell you what we’ll do to put things right and when we’ll do this
- If you’re not happy with our response to your complaint, we’ll tell you how you can appeal
- At all times, we’ll respect confidentiality.
10. Communal spaces and services
Making sure communal spaces are safe is one of our top priorities. We’ll tell you about the communal services, such as cleaning and grounds maintenance that we offer in your area and provide specifications that show the standards our contractors will be working to. We’ll also tell you what you can expect from your yearly service charge.
- Communal spaces will be regularly cleaned to a good standard
- Communal grassed areas will be regularly maintained to a good standard
- We’ll carry out regular scheme inspections to assess any risks within our communal spaces
- We’ll make sure all our communal spaces have the required fire safety measures in place
- We’ll carry out fire risk assessments in all internal communal areas in line with our fire safety policy
- We’ll carry out the necessary fire alarm, electrical and lift testing in communal spaces.
11. Selling your home
When it comes to selling your home, we’re committed to a number of things.
- We’ll provide you with Guidance Notes and selling information to help you place your property on the market
- We’ll liaise with your appointed Estate Agent to ensure they have the necessary information to market your property
- We’ll provide your appointed Estate Agent or buyer with the information they require
- Our dedicated Sales Team and appointed solicitor will work closely with your own solicitor to ensure they have all the necessary information to progresses your sale as smoothly as possible.
Additional Support Services
Our Improving Lives 2025 strategy directs us to provide services that support customers with their economic resilience and health and wellbeing. We’ll continue to ask for your views so that we understand your needs and that of the wider communities we serve.
We treat domestic abuse sensitively and seriously. We’re here to support customers who are experiencing domestic abuse and have dedicated Domestic Abuse Champions who are here to help.
Our Money Advice Service is open to all customers, providing advice on welfare benefits, income and managing your money, including basic budgeting tips.
Our Community Investment Team is key to the delivery of our Improving Lives 2025 strategy. We’ll support local charities and community groups to ensure that our communities are places where people are able to thrive and are proud to call home. Our work in this area will see us provide support and guidance with employment and training, as well as opportunities for customers to undertake formal qualifications.