Change accessibility  Google translate  Change contrast   Font size 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size

How to make a complaint

We always aim to provide an excellent service to our customers. However, if we get things wrong, we want to put things right and learn from our mistakes. This page tells you about our complaints procedure and how you can let us know if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received.



To help us clear a significant backlog of repairs and focus on the most essential jobs, we’re now only focusing on essential repairs for all new requests we receive.

This means that all new non-essential repairs will be paused for the time being. If you’ve already reported a non-essential repair, this will still go ahead.

Please note, we’ll continue to prioritise jobs based on the immediate health and safety risk they pose and the vulnerability of the customers affected.

Find out more about essential and non-essential repairs, and the steps we’re taking to get back on track.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is any expression of dissatisfaction about a service or product we have provided, or should have provided.

A complaint can be made when we've:

  • Failed to provide a service when agreed
  • Provided a poor standard of service
  • Made a mistake in the way we've provided the service
  • Failed to meet our existing service standards
  • Failed to follow our policies correctly

We will only investigate complaints received within six months of the issue.

If you need to make a complaint

If you need to make a complaint, we’ll:

  • listen and deal with your complaint promptly
  • investigate your complaint fully
  • keep your complaint confidential at all times
  • handle things fairly
  • put right any mistakes and learn from them
  • apologise when we've got things wrong
  • help anyone who needs assistance in making a complaint.

The complaints service is open to anyone who receives or requests a service from us.

Please tell us if you need help making a complaint. We'll be happy to help and provide support. If you prefer you can ask a family member or friend to help. You can also ask for further help and advice from your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau, your local Councillor or MP.

How can I make a complaint?

Let us know straight away about any problems you have so that we can sort it out for you as quickly as possible.

You can tell us about your complaint in person, in writing, by email, over the telephone, using social media, online or by requesting a complaint form. 


Social media

By phone

Longhurst Group customers
0300 123 1745

0345 60 88 006

Other methods

  • telling us in person
  • writing to us
  • requesting a complaints form

The complaints process

‘First time fix complaints’

If the complaint can be easily resolved, it will be dealt with straight away. We allow two working days to resolve complaints of this nature; this type of complaint is known as a 'first time fix'.

For example, this would apply where we have missed an appointment and we were able to make a new arrangement that suited you. If you're not satisfied with the outcome, you can move onto the formal complaints process.

Formal complaints

Formal complaints – Stage 1

If we cannot resolve the problem within two working days and a solution isn't easily available, we will record this as a Formal Complaint.

All formal complaints will be fully investigated. We'll discuss your complaint with you so you're aware of our timescales and the process.

We allow 10 working days to review a complaint at Stage 1. We will keep you updated on progress until the complaint is resolved.

Formal complaints – Stage 2

If you don't feel our formal complaint response is factually accurate, doesn't resolve your complaint or that we didn't follow our process, we'll record this as a Stage 2 formal complaint.

If this is the case, please let us know in writing within one month of receiving your Stage 1 response and we'll review this for you. 

If you're unable to contact us in writing, please ring to discuss over the telephone.

We allow 20 working days to review a complaint at Stage 2.

Independent Complaints Panel

If you’re not satisfied with our Stage 2 response, you can go to our Independent Complaints Panel.

This panel is made up of trained customers who will act as an independent person to review your complaint.

More information

Download an information leaflet, which explains more about the Independent Complaints Panel (ICP) and the ICP process.

 If you have any further questions, please contact us for more information.

Learning from complaints

We'll review all complaints regularly to make sure they're being dealt with effectively and consistently.

Most importantly, we use complaints to identify areas of our service where we need to make changes, so that the service you receive continues to improve.

What to do if you’re still unhappy

If you're still unhappy after you have been through our complaints process, you can
ask the Housing Ombudsman to consider your case.

The Housing Ombudsman can only consider complaints from customers, leaseholders or housing applicants.

Contacting the Housing Ombudsman Service

Housing Ombudsman Service, PO Box 152, Liverpool L33 7WQ

0300 111 3000

Care and Support complaints

For Care and Support complaints, customers can refer their complaint to the Care Quality Commission.

Money Advice complaints

If your complaint is about our Money Advice Service you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to consider your case.

Menu Clock House Get involved Headset Magnifying Lock Burger menu Close Wrench Wallet Heart Life ring Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube TikTok Lightbulb People Map pin Blocks List GBP Arrow right Search care Longhurst Group Longhurst Group L & H Homes L & H Homes Friendship Care and Housing Friendship Care and Housing Libra Treasury Libra Treasury Spire Homes Spire Homes Keystone Keystone Axiom Axiom