Reporting a repair
As your home is a new build, repairs are referred to as ‘defects’. Any defects that aren't a result of damage caused by you may be classed as ‘valid’ which are the developer’s responsibility to sort.
The first 12 months after a property has been built, this is known as the ‘defect period.’ During this period, it's important that you contact us directly to report any defect issues, so that we can review them and log all valid items with the developer within the 12-month time frame and ensure repairs are carried out.
All valid defect repairs are carried out by the developer who built your home, as it’s their responsibility to rectify them.
It’s important that you report defects through Longhurst Group, as making reports to the contractors directly may result in problems with the requests being processed, and subsequent delays and/or remedial works not being completed.
Advice on qualifying defects
- Cracks thicker than a pound coin may qualify as a defect. If a crack is less than the thickness of a pound coin, this is more than likely due to the natural ‘settling’ of the property. Please include photos where possible. Any cracking reported will be reviewed before being confirmed as a valid defect.
- Issues caused by alterations you've carried out don't qualify as a defect. For example, if a leak occurs when you've installed your own shower screen.
- Scratches and minor damage to walls, doors and windows or other parts of the property etc that were recorded at the point of handover from the developer to us will qualify as a defect. Anything not recorded at this point doesn't qualify and can't be reported.
- Waterlogged gardens caused by your own alterations or failure to follow maintenance advice doesn't qualify as a defect.
- Drain blockages caused by misuse or not following maintenance advice such as flushing baby wipes doesn't qualify as a defect.
- Any damage, either malicious or accidental, won't be covered under the defect liability period and will be your responsibility to repair.
After the ‘defect period’
For the first 12 months of your property being built, we're responsible for notifying the developer of any valid defects that you report and that they're rectified within the agreed timescales. If you own shares in your home please explore your warranty for guidance after the first year. You may be able to approach the developer directly after our responsibility ceases.
We'll not raise defects in this second year.
For our rented properties, any general repairs will be completed by our repairs contractors.