Enjoying a fire-safe festive period
Cooking on Christmas Day
Remember, it only takes a minute for your house to be engulfed in flames. Don’t let your Christmas be ruined by a silly mistake. You should never leave your cooking unattended, and you shouldn’t cook whilst drunk. You may like a Christmas tipple, but why not save it for after you’ve finished cooking, when you can relax and really enjoy yourself.
Decorating the house for Christmas
If you want your house to be merry and bright, make sure those fairy lights are in good working order. Replace any faulty bulbs, making sure they’re the same type and rating that you were originally supplied with. Don’t leave the lights on when you go to bed as they’re a fire hazard and you won’t notice the fire when you’re asleep.
Real Christmas trees also need plenty of water. If they dry out, they’re more likely to catch fire and the results can be devastating. Check out this video to see the difference a well-watered tree can have on the extent of a fire.
During the colder months, many people utilise electric blankets and portable heaters – please remember that these do come with fire risks. Always read the instructions carefully before using these appliances.
You should also take care not to overload your plug sockets. Overloaded sockets are one of the most common causes of electrical fires, and it’s easy to do it accidentally. Extension cables are a great tool but only when used safely. Remember to never plug appliances that use a lot of power, such as microwaves and kettles, into the same extension lead. If your cable is looking a little bit tatty, rather than relying on electrical tape, consider replacing it – it’s a much safer option.