Electrical appliances - Do's and Don'ts
When it comes to electrical appliances, you might think it’s as simple as switching them on when you want to use them and switching off when you’re done. But did you know that there are 20,000 fires caused by electricals in the UK every year?
We’ve compiled a list of dos and don’ts to help prevent this from happening to you.
- Check that the cables of your electricals are in good working order and free from any frays
- Take care with liquids that are near to electronic devices – remember that accidents can happen
- Ensure you unplug electrical devices that aren’t in use
- Make sure to use the chargers that your devices are supplied with. Unbranded chargers may have a different wattage and could cause a fire.
- Use electrical tape around a broken cable. Consider replacing it instead
- Leave washing machines or tumble dryers on if you’re going out
- Ignore appliances that appear to be making a strange noise as this could indicate a serious fault and should be dealt with
- Put your phone under your pillow when it’s charging. Charging will cause the phone to heat up which'll then become a fire hazard.