Change accessibility  Google translate  Change contrast   Font size 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size

My Home Contents Insurance Scheme

Why do I need it?

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, the National Housing Federation (NHF) has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited, who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a contents insurance policy designed for customers living in social housing.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
  • Alternatively, please visit the for more information or to request a callback.

It’s important to protect your belongings and we suggest that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services is a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance; however, there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

Understanding Home Contents Insurance - FAQs

To download the pdf version, please click here.

What does Accidental Damage mean?

Our policies include accidental breakage of mirrors, fixed glass in furniture, cooking hobs and oven doors. Also included as standard is accidental damage to TVs (including satellite dishes, decoders and televisions aerials fixed to the home, home computers and home entertainment equipment within the home and CCTV equipment attached to the home).

This cover excludes items designed to be portable, including mobile/smart/android phones and iPhones, iPads, iPods and tablets, video cameras, camcorders, games consoles and portable computers. These items can be covered by selecting the extended accidental damage cover, for an additional premium. The extended accidental damage cover would also cover things like spilled paint or broken ornaments. (A £50 excess may apply, full details are available on request).

Are hire purchase goods covered?

Yes, the policy covers hire purchase items against the insured perils, such as fire, theft, flood, and water damage. The policy doesn't cover electrical, electronic or mechanical breakdown or failure.

How do I make a claim?

To make a claim contact a member of the Thistle Tenant Risks team on: 0345 450 7288.

Does it affect my premium if I make a claim?

No, your premium will not change if you do have to make a claim.

Can I cancel my policy at any time and is there a cancellation charge?

You may cancel your policy at any time by contacting the My Home Contents Insurance scheme team. There's no charge if you do decide to cancel.

What does garden huts, garages and greenhouses cover?

This cover if selected for an additional premium, covers the structure of the garden hut, garage or greenhouse, up to £500 against loss or damage caused by fire, theft, storm or flood, malicious damage.

The standard cover automatically includes theft or attempted theft of contents from garden huts, sheds and garages and greenhouses (up to £3,000).

Do I need receipts for everything inside my home to be covered?

Insurers request proof of ownership of an item in the event of a claim. Ideally you need to keep receipts, photographs or manuals as proof of purchase.

Are my children’s items covered?

Yes, the policy covers the tenant, their domestic partner and members of their family permanently living with them.

My TV just stopped working, is this covered?

No, the policy doesn't cover electrical, electronic or mechanical breakdown or failure. Limits and exclusions apply and a full policy wording is available on request.

Contact us

For more information or to apply for cover, please call Thistle Tenant Risks on:

Phone: 0345 450 7288
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
Visit where you can also request someone to call you back!

Limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available on request.

The National Housing Federation working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419.   Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

Menu Clock House Get involved Headset Magnifying Lock Burger menu Close Wrench Wallet Heart Life ring Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube TikTok Lightbulb People Map pin Blocks List GBP Arrow right Search care Longhurst Group Longhurst Group L & H Homes L & H Homes Friendship Care and Housing Friendship Care and Housing Libra Treasury Libra Treasury Spire Homes Spire Homes Keystone Keystone Axiom Axiom