Change accessibility  Google translate  Change contrast   Font size 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is a crime and affects the quality of life of the person experiencing it, as well as their family and their friends. It can also affect a person’s home.

It can take many forms and can happen to anyone at any time, regardless of their age, background, gender, religion, sexuality or ethnicity.

We’re here to support those who may be experiencing domestic abuse and are proud to work in partnership with local and national partners to tackle the issue.

This page explains how we can support you and answers any questions you may have. 

  Domestic abuse – questions and answers

What is domestic abuse and am I experiencing it?

Domestic abuse is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.

By abuse, this can include, but is not limited to:

Psychological: Making you feel devalued and afraid. For example, if you are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender (LGBT) threatening to ‘out’ you to your family

Physical: Kicking, punching and restraining

Sexual: Rape, making you do things you don’t want to do, preventing you from practicing safe sex  

Financial: Taking and/or controlling your money

Emotional: Making you feel unhappy

It also includes controlling behaviour, such as isolating you from family and friends and coercive control, which includes a pattern of behaviour to frighten or humiliate you.

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone, regardless of their gender or sexuality. We understand that it can be very difficult to take the first steps to get help. We can offer you the opportunity to speak to someone of the same gender or sexuality, if you'd prefer.

We'll support you to get the help you need and make sure you're not in any danger. We can give you advice and support and work with other organisations to make sure you get all the support you need.

What should I do if I need help?

Report it

If you’re in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police.

If you’re unable to talk on the phone, call 999 and listen to the questions from the operator and if possible, respond by coughing or tapping the head set.

Call 999 from a mobile

If prompted, press 55 to Make Yourself Heard and this will transfer your call to the police.

Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and doesn't allow police to track your location.

Call 999 from a landline

If only background noise can be heard and operators can’t decide whether an emergency service is needed, then you’ll be connected to a police call handler.

If you replace the handset, the landline may remain connected for 45 seconds in case you pick up again.

When 999 calls are made from landlines, information about your location should be automatically available to the call handlers to help provide a response.

If you’re deaf or can’t verbally communicate

You can register with the emergency SMS service. Text REGISTER to 999. You’ll get a text which tells you what to do next. Do this when it is safe so you can text when you’re in danger.

You can also contact Signhealth, the Deaf Health Charity, which offers a specialist domestic abuse service to support deaf people in finding safety and security.

Everybody who contacts Signhealth is treated with utmost confidentiality and has their own dedicated worker, who’ll create a safety and support plan for you by assessing your support needs and discussing what you want to happen. This help you understand what’s in place to keep you safe.

Their website is and you can text them on 07800 003421 or email

What can Longhurst Group do for people experiencing domestic abuse?

We're committed to acting quickly, effectively and sympathetically to anyone who's experiencing domestic abuse.

We will:

  • Keep to all of our responsibilities to you as a customer
  • Offer you support and advice from our Housing Officers
  • Give you emotional support and practical help and advice
  • Be sensitive and understanding when we discuss your housing options
  • Work with government, voluntary and other organisations to give you support when you need it
  • React quickly and effectively to make sure you're safe
  • Pursue relevant action against perpetrators of domestic abuse using the conditions of our Tenancy Agreements - with your permission
  • Our Support Coordinators can give you emotional support and practical help and advice with your tenancy and other issues.
  • For more information, please call us in confidence on 0300 123 1745
What if I want to stay in my home?

If you're experiencing domestic abuse and want to stay in your current home, our teams will give you support and advice on what you need to do.

We can also talk to you about keeping you safe in your home.

What if I can't return to my home?

If you need to be rehoused away from the person who is abusing you, we can give you housing advice or discuss alternative safe accommodation. We can also try to find a Women’s Refuge place or safe accommodation for you.

If you can't get into your home or you don't want to stay there, we can help you.

Our colleagues will be able to listen to you and give you advice and support. The police may also be able to go with you if you want to get personal belongings from your home.

If I ask for a Housing Officer to call out to my home, what are the risks?

Our team of Housing Officers will offer and co-ordinate support. Our colleagues don't wear uniforms or badges so your neighbours wouldn’t know that they work for us.

Will the perpetrator of the abuse know that I’ve asked for help?

We'll never inform the perpetrator of the abuse that we've spoken to you.

As your safety is our main concern, we won't take any action against that person without consulting you first.

Who else can I talk to and what services do they provide?

There are many organisations that can provide support to people experiencing or perpetrating domestic abuse. Below are useful phone numbers of organisations that can help you, or someone you know.

  • National Domestic Violence Helpline: Run by Women’s Aid and Refuge. Call 0808 2000 247
  • Women's Aid: For a full A-Z list of local support groups, visit
  • Refuge: For support and advice, literature and articles, visit 
  • Men’s advice: Confidential support for male victims of domestic abuse. Call 0808 801 0327
  • Mankind Initiative: Confidential support for male victims of domestic abuse. Call 01823 334 244
  • Neighbourhood Watch: To find your local branch, visit
  • Galop: Support for LGBTQ+ people experiencing domestic abuse. Call 0800 599 9247
  • The Forced Marriage Unit: Information and support about forced marriage and / or honour crimes. Call 020 7008 0151
  • Respect: Concerned about your own abusive behaviour? Call 0808 802 4040
  • Signhealth, the Deaf Health Charity: Offering a specialist domestic abuse service to support deaf people in finding safety and security. Visit, text 07800 003421 or email

I recognise characteristics of abusive behaviour in my own actions, how can I stop this?

Recognising abusive behaviour in your own actions is the first step to making a change. Many charities offer counselling for perpetrators of domestic abuse. The aim of these sessions is to help you break the cycle and choose to stop this behaviour.

Below we’ve listed these charities and the areas that they operate in.

Make a Change – available in Lincolnshire.

Glow – available in Derbyshire.

The Evolve Programme – available in Northamptonshire.

The Freedom Programme – available in multiple areas and you can search on their website to see if they’re offering a programme near you.

The Everyman Project – available nationwide.

Respect – available nationwide.

Cover your tracks online

If you’re worried that someone may see what you have been looking at online, there’s a few things you can do to minimise the chances of them finding out. This includes deleting your browser history.

Depending on the browser you use, click on the links below for instructions on how to do this.

Internet Explorer

Mozilla Firefox

Google Chrome



Android device

Safari iPhone/iPad

Google app iPhone/iPad/Android/Computer

Please remember that although clearing your history minimises the chances of someone knowing what websites you have visited, there are other means of finding this information out. 

If you want to be completely sure of not being tracked online, the safest way is to use a computer at a local library, an internet cafe, a friend's house or at work. 


Quick Exit button

Our website has a ‘Quick Exit’ button, which enables browsers to immediately navigate away from the page if they're concerned about an abusive partner or family member discovering what they’re viewing.

When a user clicks on the button, which has been applied to all pages related to our domestic abuse work, they'll be redirected to the Google homepage. We hope that it will help our customers – and colleagues – to feel reassured when reaching out to us for our help.

  Campaign updates

Thanks to help from Longhurst Group colleagues Eloise fled her home with her two children after experiencing domestic abuse.

Victims of domestic abuse in Leicestershire will benefit from new refuge accommodation following our link-up with a leading ch…

A charity which helps victims of domestic abuse in Lincolnshire has benefited from our Housing Services Donation Fund.

We are delighted to have pledged donations totalling £5,000 to various charities offering support services to domestic abuse v…

We've appointed our first Customer Champion - why not join our team and make a difference.

We've linked with Lincoln-based My Student Essentials to help support domestic abuse survivors moving into new accommodation.

Our colleagues have filmed messages of support to those who may be experiencing abuse, in all its forms.

‘There’s always someone there to listen’

Our colleague shares her experience of domestic abuse in the hope that it will encourage others to speak out.

We are proud to have signed up to a new national campaign to help tackle domestic abuse in our communities across the Midlands…

  Our four commitments are:

  To put in place and embed a policy to support our customers who are experiencing domestic abuse.

  To make information about national and local domestic abuse support services available on our website and in other places which are easily accessible to customers and colleagues.

  To put in place a HR policy and procedure on domestic abuse, or to incorporate this into an existing policy, to support colleagues who are experiencing domestic abuse.

  To appoint a champion in our organisation to own the activity we're doing to support people experiencing domestic abuse.

For more information visit

Menu Clock House Get involved Headset Magnifying Lock Burger menu Close Wrench Wallet Heart Life ring Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube TikTok Lightbulb People Map pin Blocks List GBP Arrow right Search care Longhurst Group Longhurst Group L & H Homes L & H Homes Friendship Care and Housing Friendship Care and Housing Libra Treasury Libra Treasury Spire Homes Spire Homes Keystone Keystone Axiom Axiom