Gas safety

Keeping you and your family safe

Gas safety

Why is gas safety and heating servicing so important?

Every year, approximately 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances, but a quick gas service can protect you and your family.

If you don't allow an engineer access to your home to carry out the annual service, we'll have to start court action – this can lead to repossession of your home and you could be charged the court costs.


Why do we carry out these tests? 

This needs to be done to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. You cannot see it, taste it or even smell it, but carbon monoxide can kill without warning in just a matter of hours.

The symptoms of this include tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, nausea, stomach pains and pains in the chest. These can easily be confused with the flu or tiredness.

What happens?

A gas service should only take between 15 minutes and one hour, depending on the type and condition of the appliances.

A Gas Safe registered engineer will visit your home to service all gas-fired heating appliances (except cookers) and, as required, will:

  • Carry out a visual inspection of the appliance(s), associated flues and pipes
  • Check ventilation
  • Dismantle and dust or clean appliances (not cookers and only if required)
  • Check correct operation of flue
  • Check/adjust burner pressure
  • Test all pipe work is gas-tight
  • Check any smoke alarms.

The engineer then has to fill out a certificate which is known as a Landlord Safety Record (LSR).

It's important that all gas appliances, including your own, are listed on the certificate.

Our contractors, Mears, will send you an appointment card with a date and time, approximately 60 days.

Please advise the engineer of all the heating appliances in your home. The engineer will need to check around your whole property to check for appliances and radiators.


What do I have to do?

Our contractors, Mears, will send you an appointment card with a date and time for your appointment, approximately 60 days before the safety certificate expires. If this isn't convenient, please contact us and rearrange the appointment.

If they don't hear from you, Mears will visit you to carry out the servicing. If you aren't at home, they'll send you a second appointment card.

Again, please contact us within seven days to rearrange if this is inconvenient.

You can also contact us to arrange access.

If Mears still find that they cannot gain access to your home, they'll ask us to write to you.

If we cannot make contact with you, they'll apply for a court order to gain access to the property, which could result in repossession of your home and the court costs being recharged to you.

We want to avoid this happening, but we'll take the necessary actions to prevent our customers being put at risk. As your landlord, we're responsible for the gas safety in your home and must make sure a gas service is carried out every year.


Save money on gas bills

By keeping an eye on your gas appliances and heating system, you could not only save lives, you could save money too. Badly maintained appliances may be wasting gas and running up large fuel bills.


Safety information and tips

Each year in the UK, carbon monoxide poisoning claims around 30 lives. Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas which is produced when any fossil fuel doesn't burn properly. The fumes are produced by faulty equipment and the risk of poisoning increases if there's poor ventilation in a room or if a chimney or flue is blocked.

Warning signs to look out for include:

  • Gas flames which normally burn blue will burn orange or yellow
  • Sooty stains on or near appliances
  • Coal or wood fires that burn slowly or go out
  • People suffering from prolonged flu-like symptoms should seek medical advice.

If you or your family experience any symptoms or believe you have been exposed to monoxide, please seek urgent medical attention.

If you're concerned about your appliance or notice any of the above warning signs, please contact us.

Most deaths can be avoided if people are more aware. You're at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Your appliance isn’t working properly
  • Your appliance hasn't been checked or maintained regularly
  • A non Gas Safe registered engineer installs or maintains your appliances
  • There isn't enough fresh air in the room or your chimney/flue gets blocked.

What can I do to be safe?

NEVER:

  • Use a gas appliance if you think it's not working properly
  • Cover an appliance or block the air vents
  • Block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grilles or air bricks
  • Block or cover outside flues.

If you smell gas or suspect there is a gas leak, don't switch on any appliances and immediately:

  • Open all doors and windows
  • Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve in the meter box
  • Call Cadent Gas on the Gas Emergency Free Phone number 0800 111 999
  • In the case of a suspected carbon monoxide leakage, follow the above procedure.

Updated: February 2021

Review date: May 2021


    
 Change accessibility  Google translate  Change contrast   Font size 
 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
default
high
Font size Text size
down
default
up
Menu Clock House Get involved Headset Magnifying Lock Burger menu Close Wrench Wallet Heart Life ring Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube Lightbulb People Map pin Blocks List GBP Arrow right Search care Longhurst Group Longhurst Group L & H Homes L & H Homes Friendship Care and Housing Friendship Care and Housing Libra Treasury Libra Treasury Spire Homes Spire Homes Keystone Keystone Axiom Axiom