Change accessibility  Google translate  Change contrast   Font size 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size

Helping homeowners understand their service charge

If you’re a homeowner with Longhurst Group, you might have to make service charge payments to cover the costs of services provided to you. These payments will all be made in accordance with your lease or transfer. Service charges only cover the costs we are charged by providers. We provide a full breakdown of service charges to customers each year.

We regularly receive questions relating to service charges and we’ve put together the following frequently asked questions and answers to help you understand more.

How do I know what I need to pay?

You can expect to receive a service charge estimate around February each year detailing the estimated costs for the next financial year, usually April to March.  You’ll then receive a copy of the actual accounts that will show the final costs within six months of the end of the financial year.

What happens if there’s a deficit or surplus on my accounts?

When we provide a copy of the accounts to you, we’ll advise how you can either make payment for the deficit, or how you can arrange a refund of any surplus.

What’s a variable service charge?

This is when the service charge is estimated at the beginning of the financial year based on quotes received and prior expenditure for the services provided to you.  As mentioned above, you’ll receive a copy of the actual accounts that’ll show the final costs within six months of the end of the financial year.

What’s a sinking fund? (Also referred to as ‘reserve fund’ or ‘major repairs fund’)

If your lease or transfer permits the collection of a sinking fund, we’ll collect a contribution based on the estimated expenditure of replacing, repairing, or renewing large communal items that we’re responsible for, such as a new roof or replacement doors. The contributions are held in trust in a separate account until they’re needed.

Why do I pay water and electricity charges to my supplier and a separate charge to Longhurst Group?

You may have to contribute towards communal electricity and water charges. These are for items such as communal internal and external lighting, or water supply to communal gardens. You’re normally responsible for all utility supplies that directly serve your property and any charges from external suppliers intended for your own personal domestic use.

What’s the difference between a ‘Management Fee’ and ‘Management Company’ charges?

Management Fee - In accordance with your lease or transfer, you’re required to pay a fee to us for items such as managing and implementing service charges, setting up contracts where required, managing rent/service charge accounts, administration costs and the costs incurred in providing a dedicated Home Ownership Team.

Management Company charge – This is a cost you’ll pay when a third party/agent has been appointed to provide additional services to a scheme/block or estate.

I contribute towards a ‘Grounds Maintenance’ service charge, yet my garden is not attended to.

Grounds maintenance charges are for communal areas that aren’t maintained by the local authority. 

Does the service charge I pay for insurance include contents cover?

No, you’ll be required to source your own contents insurance to protect your own belongings.

How can I pay my service charge?

Direct debit - If you’d like to set up a direct debit, please call us on 0800 111 4013 and ask for the               

Home Ownership Team. Alternatively, please visit our website to complete our online form.            

One-off payment - Please call us on 0800 111 4013 to make a one-off payment.

How can I view my statement

You can view your statement by visiting our website and logging into ‘My Account’.  If you’re not registered, please visit our website and submit your request via ‘contact us’.

What happens if I’m struggling to pay my service charge?

If you’re struggling to pay your service charge, please contact our dedicated Home Ownership Team on 0800 111 4013 at the earliest opportunity. We’re here to help and can discuss payment options, benefit advice, and have access to independent organisations that can support you with your financial situation.

Menu Clock House Get involved Headset Magnifying Lock Burger menu Close Wrench Wallet Heart Life ring Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube TikTok Lightbulb People Map pin Blocks List GBP Arrow right Search care Longhurst Group Longhurst Group L & H Homes L & H Homes Friendship Care and Housing Friendship Care and Housing Libra Treasury Libra Treasury Spire Homes Spire Homes Keystone Keystone Axiom Axiom