Change accessibility  Google translate  Change contrast   Font size 

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size

Cars, fly-tipping and graffiti

Abandoned cars

If you’ve noticed a vehicle that you believe to be abandoned, start by speaking to your neighbours to see if they know who owns the car.

If you’ve made enquiries and nobody knows who the owner is, make a note of the registration number and make and model of the car.

  • If the vehicle is in one of our car parks, please complete our general enquiry form and attach a photo if possible. Once we receive your report, we’ll make contact with the DVLA to see if there’s a registered keeper. If there is, we’ll make contact with them.
  • If not, we’ll discuss with the local authority and make arrangements to get the vehicle removed.
  • If the vehicle is on a public road, please contact the local authority.
  • If you believe the vehicle is stolen, please contact the Police on 101, who’ll attend and recover the vehicle if it is stolen.

For other problems with stolen vehicles, repairing vehicles or parking issues, see below.

Obstructive parking

If your neighbour is parking in a manner which obstructs your ability to enter/leave your home and/or allocated parking space, start by speaking to them first. They may not be aware their actions are causing you a problem.

If the problem continues, then you can take the following action:

  • If it’s on a public verge or highway and the vehicle is found to be parked contravening local parking regulations, contact your local authority who may be able to assist by issuing a Penalty Charge Notice.
  • If it’s parked in such a manner that causes a risk, please contact the Police.
  • If it’s on land owned by us, complete our general enquiry form and we’ll contact your neighbour. It may be that your neighbour/their visitors are not aware of the local parking arrangements.

Repairing vehicles

This refers to the offence of repairing vehicles in the street and is aimed at those carrying out repairs as part of running a vehicle repair business and not individuals repairing their own cars/bikes.

If you’re being disturbed by a neighbour carrying out repairs, start by speaking to them. They may not be aware they’re disturbing you. If the problem continues and you believe an offence is being committed, then you can explore the following options:

  1. If it’s on a public highway, contact the local authority who can investigate and consider action under the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005.
  2. If it’s on land owned by us and they’re causing a persistent noise nuisance, please refer to our noise nuisance section for guidance.

Speeding or dangerous vehicles

If you believe that a road traffic offence has been committed, such as speeding or dangerous driving, you should report the incident and circumstances as soon as possible to your local Police.


We define fly-tipping as:

  • The unlawful dumping of liquid or solid waste on land or in water.
  • Mismanagement or misuse of waste facilities.
  • Deposit of bulky items such as old furniture e.g. bed frames and sofas.

If the item is on land owned by the local authority, then it can be reported to them to arrange removal.

To help us remove bulky items, please complete our general enquiry form, including a photo if you notice waste left on our land. If you’re aware of where the waste has come from, please include this information. Once we receive your report, we’ll arrange to have the items removed.

Fly-tipping on privately owned land will be the responsibility of the private land owner and not us.


Graffiti is an offence of criminal damage and can be reported to the Police. Please note, however, that they’ll not remove it.

 Is the graffiti is personally targeted towards you or your family?

If the graffiti is abusive or racist, we’ll arrange to remove it as a priority.

If the graffiti is not on our land, please contact the local authority who’ll arrange to get it removed.

Menu Clock House Get involved Headset Magnifying Lock Burger menu Close Wrench Wallet Heart Life ring Chevron down Chevron left Chevron right Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube TikTok Lightbulb People Map pin Blocks List GBP Arrow right Search care Longhurst Group Longhurst Group L & H Homes L & H Homes Friendship Care and Housing Friendship Care and Housing Libra Treasury Libra Treasury Spire Homes Spire Homes Keystone Keystone Axiom Axiom