Advice about what to do if you experience a problem with your neighbours
Some causes of neighbourhood disputes include:
- Disputes about how cars are parked
- Behaviour of children
- Personality clashes
- Noise nuisance
The first step
When antisocial behaviour involves a neighbour, one way of dealing with it is to try to speak to the neighbour yourself. This can help solve the problem at an early stage, without involving us. Often a neighbour does not realise that their behaviour is affecting you. By pointing this out in a polite way, the situation can often be resolved amicably. Contacting us first could make your neighbour feel you have not given them the opportunity to put things right before making things official.
Before you approach your neighbour:
- Think about what you want to say
- Be clear about what the problem is and what you are going to ask your neighbour to change
- Talk over what you are going to say with someone else first.
When you approach your neighbour:
- Pick the time when you approach them carefully
- Look for a potential solution to the problem, for example agreeing how cars will be parked, Controlling pets or play times for children
- Be calm - don’t shout!
- Be friendly
- Don’t interrupt your neighbour when they are talking
- Walk away if your neighbour is unreasonable.
What else can you do?
If speaking to the person causing the problem does not work, note down the details of the incidents, when they occur and how long they last. Please contact us for advice on how to complete our incident diary or report anti-social behaviour through our website.
We can offer mediation to solve a wide range of disagreements with your neighbours. Mediation does not focus on who is right or wrong, but gets everyone involved to agree to a solution. We can use it to solve fairly simple disagreements with your neighbours or even quite serious harassment if both sides are willing to take part.
- Please contact us if you have concerns during the case.
- Contact the Police if you receive any threats.
- Victim Support - 0845 303 0900.